Monday, March 10, 2008

Herbed Buttermilk Popcorn

A few weeks ago a close friend of mine celebrated his birthday with an intimate potluck and party. I get a little too excited by the thought of picking new recipes for such occasions and usually end up going way overboard. I started thinking about what to make at the beginning of the week and by the time Friday rolled around I had about ten recipes gathered from various food blogs and websites. I ended up choosing four things:

The standout amongst all the things I made was definitely the herbed buttermilk popcorn. I found this recipe on 101 cookbooks, one of my absolute favorite food blogs. I'd never made my own popcorn before and felt sure that I was gonna screw it up. I have a horrible habit of burning everything- even things you think would be impossible to burn. I was pleasantly surprised when I got it right on the first try. The recipe calls for powdered buttermilk which I am admittedly not fimiliar with. Luckily, it didn't require a trip across the river to Whole Foods- it's available at Kroger near the evaporated milk. Just pop the popcorn as directed in the recipe, mix up your toppings, melt some butter, and toss it all together. In about 5 minutes you have popcorn that kicks the shit out of any of that microwave stuff. Look how happy it made me...

Herbed Buttermilk Popcorn


1 tablespoon powdered buttermilk
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon powdered chicken bouillon or kosher salt
1 tablespoon corn oil
1/3 cup popcorn kernals
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Combine the buttermilk, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon pepper, dill weed, and chicken bouillon in a small bowl.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the popcorn and cover with a lid (hs note: I leave a little crack in the lid to let a bit of hot air out and prevent condensation in the pot). Shake the pan frequently. Remove from the heat when the poppin subsides. Pour the popcorn into a bowl. Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel. Melt the butter in the pan. Pour the butter over the popcorn, tossing to distribute evenly. Sprinkle with the flavoring mixture and toss to coat.

Makes 8 cups; serves 4.

3 comments:

The Black Chuck Norris said...

is that herb as in harry or herb as in earl?

Unknown said...

OMG, this popcorn sounds so good! I gotta try it! I usually eat popcorn (made in a pot not microwave) at least once or twice per week. I have never tried buttermilk powder et al. Yummy!

brandon said...

the truffle popcorn at ombi rocks. you guys should give it a shot sometime.