Saturday, March 15, 2008

Leonel's Cheesecake-Murfreesboro, TN


If you have ever lived in Murfreesboro, you've undoubtedly (and perhaps unknowingly) cruised by this tiny sweets shack on your way to Outreach Thrift or the Premiere 6 theater (the Jan Brady of movie joints in Rutherford county). Every time I drive by, my heart says "Yes!" but the clock always says "No!" Well, I finally told that clock to get lost while I got lost in a tasty dessert island paradise! Seriously, it was like a slice of heaven. It was totally sweet. What? Too cheesey? Too cheesecakey?!
I promise not to do that ever again.

Leonel's cheesecakes are one of a kind. They are homemade on site with no preservatives. They are also crustless, butterless, flourless and are low in sugar? I know, gross. But they're totally good! If you don't believe me, go in for yourself. My dining crew and I were offered very generous free samples so that we could be sure that we made the correct confection selection. And boy did we!

I admit to having a questionable obsession with both cinnamon and pumpkin, so imagine my surprise when our extremely kind waiter listed a cinnamon pumpkin cheesecake as one of that day's options! I was a little skeptical of the whole "crustless" thing, but I really did not miss it at all. The texture of the cake was smooth and not overly dense. The sweetness was perfect: definitely enough to satisfy your sweet tooth, but not crazy sugary (I judge this by whether or not you can feel the sugar granules when you grind your teeth). Also, shortly after we were seated, the aformentioned waiter provided us with complimentary, freshly-made hot fudge, followed by a free (huge) sample of another cheesecake for us to share...just because. He was seriously the nicest waiter/possible business owner?/dude that there was or ever will be. And I, for one, greatly appreciate the appreciation of my business. But, really, you don't have to be that nice when what you serve looks like this:

To to the left of mine is the Irish cream, and to the right is pistachio chocolate chip. Other interesting Leonel's flavors include banana, guava, cappuccino, and chunky peanut butter with nutter butter cookies. Really, their menu offers over 25 flavor combos! Got the betes? No sweat! They also offer a completely sugar free variety of their classic-style cheesecake. And at $3.25 per slice and $16.00 for a 6 " ($28.00 for a 9"), their prices are very fair.

Or you could just come to see this weird statue. I may look uncomfortable, but on the inside I am super happy to be there!

Bonus Challenge: Visit this place and write an Eat to the Beat guest-writer entry on the "& BBQ Chicken" portion of the restaurant!

3 comments:

Harris K. Telemacher said...

You say "low sugar" but are there "no sugar" desserts there? I to have always wanted to go and have a taste.

April said...

The menu I took from the restaurant says "Sugar-Free Cheesecakes are also available."

The "low in sugar" comment refers to all of the cheesecakes in general, not to the sugar-free ones, i think.

Goose said...

As a former employee of the Sticky 6, I can give props to Leonel's smoothies, too. Though they were a tad thin, you knew you were getting something pretty dang wholesome.
From the time I started there til the time I quit a year later, the P6 staff eagerly anticipated the barbecue chicken. Did it ever arrive?